Started this project in spring 2022 after a long hiatus. We moved to a new house in late 2021 and that kept us busy for awhile.
I always like to get back into my hobby by making something. As always, I intended it to be a quick project but decided I might attempt to make this my first garage kit. With that in mind, I built it in parts that I can make a mold and cast. We’ll see how it goes.
This build is the first time I’ve used 3D printed parts I designed and printed for myself. Nothing detailed or complex, just bits to make clean edges. I love the possibilities 3D printing opens up. I don’t think I’ll be doing anything fully 3D printed for awhile though. Just use it to fill in gaps where needed.
For the base I used a tape dispenser and candy packaging. I really like the shape of the choco baby candy packaging here in Japan and have used it in several of my builds. It comes in two sizes as well.
Styrene sheet was used to widen the tape dispenser a bit and to create a recessed area for the eyes and engine. (I accidentally cracked the blue dispenser, but fortunately had an extra)
The engine is made from various model bits and was left over from an abandoned project idea.
Here you can see the 3D printed parts (the black pieces). Again, nothing fancy just there to make sharp edges and fill in gaps. I added another candy package cut in half to the sides and filled gaps with putty.
I like the simple design but at the same time I feel it needs a bit more detail. So this project is on hold for now as I figure out how to finish it and study up on mold making and casting.